Dark & Stormy Cocktail: A Perfect Way To Warm Up This Summer
A cold, rainy Summer in Normandy
I can’t believe this Summer is coming to an end! Here in Normandy, France, it only felt hot and sunny for a handful of days. As a result, the rest of the past few months have been dark, stormy, and/or cold. I think you can see what we chose The Dark & Stormy cocktail for this month! I know that in other parts of the world it wasn’t the same. Family and friends in the US experienced a lot of wildfires and heatwaves, for instance. Cookie and I don’t do well in the heat. So perhaps it was best that we didn’t have a proper summer this year!
Bad season for travel, good season for creativity
We couldn’t go anywhere and it wasn’t nice enough weather to spend time outside. Therefore, we had extra time at home to do some recipe testing and work on various projects. I imagine a lot of you didn’t know me, Joshua, before you discovered the world of Madame Cookie. That is to say, you probably didn’t know that I’ve had a drag queen persona named Kim de LaCrème. Kim isn’t just your everyday, lip-syncing drag queen, Kim was created with the purpose of starring in her own cooking and cocktail series known as Thirsty Thursday, which was published on YouTube and she appeared on local television a few times back in Nashville, Tennessee, when I was a student. You can find all of her old episodes here: Click here
Here is one of my favorite episodes:
I’ve always needed a creative outlet to do what I want and express myself, and Kim de LaCrème was one of my main outlets until Cookie came into my life. This past year has been so much fun, I’ve met so many interesting people! Which helped spark that burning desire to do more creative things into a full-blown fire. With that new fire burning, Kim’s giant red wig slipped back onto my head this month. And as a result, we made a lovely little cocktail and episode of Thirsty Thursday for everyone to see! A cat, a cocktail, and a plus-size drag queen, what else do you need to have a good time? Here is that episode:
Cocktail of the Month: The Dark & Stormy
The cocktail I researched and chose for this month combines some of my favorite things :
- Ginger Beer – I’ve watched a lot of travel vlogs from Flying The Nest on YouTube. They’re a couple from Australia, and they are always drinking Bundaberg Ginger Beer. To my luck, one of the local shops all the way up here in Normandy randomly had it a few months ago. I went through a few cases of it in just a few weeks, haha!
- Kraken Dark Rum – I l-o-v-e dark rum, it’s the spicy, caramel flavor for me and Kraken is almost black in color, which makes it perfect for this recipe.
- Limes – It’s probably the fresh fruit I but the most as it’s perfect to add in a lot of dishes and a cocktail must-have in Summer. My usual go-to is a Frozen Mango Margarita. Yes, if you are from suburban America, I’m talking about the 2-for-1 special at Chili’s – as it’s fruity (like me) and masks all the cheap tequila we get here in France.
I came across a cocktail called the Dark & Stormy, it’s a perfect way to end this month’s theme! Some of the recipes I found had Cayenne Pepper in them. However, I’m not a big fan of that. To compensate, I did find a ginger beer here in France that is actually a little spicier than others. Perfect for warming up on a cold day!
If you give this cocktail a try, let me know what you think! I saw several friends on Instagram said this was their favorite cocktail. So, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser with a lot of people!
Dark & Stormy Cocktail
- Ice Cubes
- 15 cl Ginger Beer
- 5 cl Dark Rum (like from the brand "Kraken")
- 3/4 Lime
- Add ice cubes to the highball glass
- Cut the lime into four quarters
- Squeeze two wedges of lime into the glass and then place them in the glass
- Add the ginger beer
- Using a cocktail spoon, add the dark rum on top of the ginger beer
- Add a wedge of lime on the rim fo the glass
You can find more of our recipes in English by clicking here.
Want to try a recipe in French? Click here!
Take care and stay warm,
Joshua, Cookie & Kim